Castle Ward, Strangford, County Down
Saturday 12 and Sunday 13 August 2017, 11am to 4pm
CRAFT FEST – Northern Ireland’s original Craft Festival event.
Now in it’s fourteenth year and, once again, full of wonderful things!
Why not head to Castle Ward on the sumptuous shores of Strangford Lough? You couldn’t find a more idyllic setting for a 2-day extravaganza of all things Craft.
CRAFT FEST is a Craft Festival that includes a Craft Fair, Craft Demonstrations and a Craft Exhibition ‘In The House’.
CRAFT FEST provides a wonderful opportunity to meet, learn about and buy Craft, Applied Art and Design directly from the talented people who make it.
CRAFT FEST is organised by the Craft & Design Collective in partnership with the National Trust Castle Ward.
Throughout the weekend
- Be tempted by gorgeous jewellery, fabulous fashion and interior accessories at the Craft Fair
- See demonstrations and may-be have a go yourself...
- Be inspired by the exhibition ‘In The House’ – Craft, Applied Art and Design by some of the Artist/Designer/Makers participating in CRAFT FEST 2017 will be placed in the Entrance Hall, Dining Room, Library, Boudoir, Saloon and Morning Room – Will you be able to spot them?
All this and Castle Ward, a wonderful, slightly eccentric house, set in a beautiful estate.
There is a Tea Room and the house and estate are open for everyone to see, use and enjoy.
Embark on a journey of ‘Craft Discovery’ whilst exploring this wonderful, slightly eccentric National Trust Property nestled on the shores of Strangford Lough.
- Alison Fitzgerald – Basket Making – Frame basket making and informal drop-in workshops – Make a flower using willow (interactive)
- The Big Weave – Drop-in weaving workshops – An opportunity for visitors to learn simple weaving techniques and contribute to a collaborative community tapestry – For younger visitors – Simple stick weaving to create woven creatures
- Ciara Campbell – Ceramics – Have a go on the Potter’s Wheel (interactive)
- Jim Parish – Performing mechanical sculptures (interactive)
- John Piekaar – Furniture Making – Bentwood Shaker boxes
- Maggie Napier – Glass Bead Making – Flamework glass demonstration (interactive)
- Robyn Galway – Jewellery Making – Make your own necklace from pre-used plastic (interactive – £4 fee applies)
- Sandra Robinson – Ceramic Sculpture – Portrait of a dog in clay
- Stephen Ryan – Woodturning – Pole lathe turning – Traditional foot powered woodturning lathe
- Tony Rea – Woodturning – Modern electric powered woodturning lathe (interactive)
* Food Stands
* Free House Tours
* Second Hand Bookshop
* Adventure and Woodlands Playgrounds
Children can visit the Farmyard where special summer activities include
* The Barn
* Ride on Tractors
* Farmyard Playroom
* Animal Enclosure
* Bike Hire Available
Castle Ward is signposted from Downpatrick.
From Downpatrick take the A25 to Strangford.
Normal National Trust Admission Charges Apply / National Trust Members Free
For more information, please contact Castle Ward
Telephone +44 (0)28 4488 1204
For more information about August Craft Month go to www.augustcraftmonth.com